October 30, 2002
Below is a brief description of the twelfth public meeting. The agenda, minutes, testimony and responses to follow-up questions will be posted when they become available.
Agenda (including links to speakers' written statements and follow-up questions)
Minutes (pdf 221kb)
The U.S. Commission on Ocean Policy held a meeting on Wednesday, October 30, 2002, from 8:30 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. to hear and discuss ocean-related issues of concern in the development of recommendations for a coordinated national ocean policy. The meeting was held in the Jefferson Auditorium, Department of Agriculture, South Building, 14th and Independence Ave, SW., Washington, D.C. This was the 12th public meeting held by the Commission.
Issues highlighted at the meeting included:
- International Panel
- Satellite and Data Management
Jefferson Auditorium, Department of Agriculture, South Building *
14th and Independence Ave, SW.
* The Public Should Use Entrance #4
Agenda (Posted October 24, 2002)
WEDNESDAY, OCTOBER 30, 2002
8:30 9:20 a.m. Convene
- Mr. Bruce I. Knight (pdf 120kb) Chief, Natural Resources Conservation Service, U.S. Department of Agriculture
9:20 10:20 a.m.
10:20 10:30 a.m. Break
10:30 11:30 a.m.
- Dr. Robert White (pdf 100kb) Principal, The Washington Advisory Group; President Emeritus, National Academy of Engineering; First Administrator of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration; and Former Member of the Stratton Commission
- Dr. John Knauss (pdf 88kb) Dean Emeritus, Graduate School of Oceanography, University of Rhode Island; Former Administrator of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration; and Former Member of the Stratton Commission
11:30 a.m. 12:30 p.m.
12:30 1:30 p.m. Lunch
1:30 2:50 p.m. International Panel
- Dr. Ian McPhail (pdf 124kb) Deputy Director-General, Environmental Protection Agency, Queensland Government, Australia
- Mr. John Turner (pdf 88kb) Assistant Secretary for Oceans and International Environmental and Scientific Affairs, U.S. Department of State
- Dr. Patricio A. Bernal (pdf 156kb) Executive Secretary, International Oceanographic Commission, UNESCO, France
2:50 3:00 p.m. Break
3:00- 3:30 p.m. Commission Business
3:30 4:30 p.m. Public Comment
4:30 6:00 p.m. Satellite and Data Management
- Dr. Richard Spinrad (pdf 1.3MB) Technical Director, Office of the Oceanographer of the Navy
- Mr. Gregory Withee (pdf 216kb) Assistant Administrator for National Environmental Satellite, Data and Information Service, NOAA, U.S. Department of Commerce
- Dr. Ghassem Asrar (pdf 104kb) Associate Administrator for Earth Science, National Aeronautics and Space Administration
- Dr. Michael Freilich (pdf 168kb) Professor, College of Oceanic & Atmospheric Sciences, Oregon State University
6:00 p.m. Adjourn
Commission Follow-up Questions
Based on testimony received at the meeting, the U.S. Commission on Ocean Policy posed specific follow-up questions to many of the presenters. The responses received by the Commission become part of the record for the meeting. The list of current responses includes only the electronic files received by the Commission. To access these documents, go to the individuals name listed above, or use the links provided below. Please note that the current list of responses does not include responses received in hard copy by the Commission.
Responses to Follow-up Questions:
Search has been disabled, as this is an archived site.
Los Angeles, CA
New Orleans, LA
St. Petersburg, FL