The Health Report to the American People
The Working Group, as required by its enabling legislation, released The Health Report to the American People in October 2005 to address important questions about health care, including:
- How much does health care cost in the United States?
- Where does the money come from?
- Where does it go?
- How many people have health insurance?
This information was based on hearings held by the Working Group between April and September 2005 in venues across the country.
- Hearing information
- Additional background on The Health Report to the American People.
- Updated version of The Health Report to the American People as included in the Working Group's Final Recommendations, released September 29, 2006. (PDF)
As released, October 5, 2005:
REPORT -- The Health Report to the American People, provides a basic set of information to start a national discussion on health care and lead to solid ideas and recommendations for a health care system that works for all Americans. (PDF version)*
INTRO TRAILER -- Introductory video (1 min.) describing the Working Group mission. (WMV format*, 1.5 MB, viewable using Windows Media Player)
VIDEO SHOW -- The Need to Take Action - a video (7-min.) on the Working Group mission to obtain citizen input on health care in America. (WMV format*, 12.9 MB)
To Learn more, you may wish to read:
- The public law creating the Working Group;
- Summaries and transcripts of the completed public meetings and hearings of the Working Group; and
- Various other resources including topical indexes, reports, papers, and presentations.
The Working Group sent its Final Recommendations to Congress and the President on September 29, 2006. These recommendations are based on input received from many sources:
- mail and e-mail from citizens
- participants in community meetings
- respondents to Web polls
- presenters at public hearings, and
- comments made in response to the Working Group's Interim Recommendations.
* To view documents posted on this web site as PDF files or in other
formats, please read our Format help