The mission of the Commission is to
identify, analyze, and develop recommendations that highlight the
importance of housing, improve the housing delivery system, and
provide affordable housing for the American people, including
recommending possible legislative and regulatory initiatives.
In order to achieve this mission, the Commission should consider
undertaking the following activities.
- Identify the role and importance of housing as it relates to:
- the validity of neighborhoods and neighborhood
- the economy, economic development, and jobs;
- education, health care, crime, and safety
- the interplay between state, local, and federal
housing policies and actions.
- Analyze existing federal, state, and local housing programs,
and private sector delivery systems, and:
- provide better housing opportunities for
families, neighborhoods, and communities;
- find ways to increase the role of the private
sector in providing affordable housing;
- explore overlaps with other federal initiatives
in the areas of tax policy, health care, education, and public
- examine the housing finance system;
- explore the links between federal, state, and
local housing mechanisms;
- and review the importance and opportunities of
- Develop specific recommendations including legislative and /
or regulatory initiatives, especially focused at the federal
level, but including linkages between federal activities and
action at the state and local level.