Inaugural Meeting, September 17-18, 2001, Washington, D.C.
Below is the agenda of the proceedings for the September 17-18 meeting of the Commission on Ocean Policy. Click here to download the official agenda distributed to the Commissioners (pdf, 2mb).
Monday, September 17
MONDAY, SEPTEMBER 17
MORNING SESSION - 10 a.m. until 12:30 p.m.
President or Vice President (invited)
The Honorable James Connaughton, Chair,
White House Council on Environmental Quality
Taking of Oath and Swearing in Ceremony (Photo)
The Honorable Paula Dobriansky (pdf, 72kb),
Under Secretary of State for Global Affairs
Election of Chair
Legal and Administrative Briefings and Discussion
- Ethical Considerations for the Commission - Mr. Dan Ross, Counsel, General Services Administration, Agency Liaison Division
- Meeting and Record Keeping Requirements - Mr. Chuck Howton, General Services Administration, Committee Management Secretariat
- Commission Funding - Mr. Gary Reisner, Office of Management and Budget
Administrative Discussions - Led by Chair
- Ground Rules for Commission Meetings
- Public testimony, comment and input
- What constitutes a quorum of the Commission
- Public and closed criteria (Full Committee/Subcommittees)
- Personnel and Space
- Hiring the Executive Director status report and process
- Staffing options - interim and long-term
- Commission office - interim and long-term
- Science Advisory Panel Role
- Information Technology and Management
- Communications and coordination between meetings
- Web Page, E-Mail
- Record Keeping; Archiving
BREAK FOR LUNCH - 12:30 p.m. until 1:30 p.m.
Working Lunch Executive Session on Personnel
AFTERNOON SESSION - 1:30 pm until 4:30 p.m.
Scope of Work and Organizing Principles (based on the Act)
- Issues and Reporting Requirements under the Oceans Act Presented by the Chair
- Organization by Issues, Cross Cut, Functions, Goals, Objectives
- Presentation of Options
- Facilitated Discussion
- Development of Organizational and Subcommittee Structure
Address - 5:00 p.m.
The Honorable Christine Todd Whitman (pdf, 84kb),
Administrator, United States Environmental Protection Agency
Executive Session - 5:30 p.m. until 6:30 p.m.
- Discussion on personnel
TUESDAY, SEPTEMBER 18
Executive Session - 8:00 a.m. until 9:00 a.m.
- Continued discussion on personnel
MORNING SESSION - 9 a.m. until Noon
The Honorable Donald L. Evans
Secretary, United States Department of Commerce
Scope of Work and Organizing Principles (cont.)
- Conclude Discussion and Reach Decision
Addressing Near-term Opportunities Discussion only
Commission/Commissioners Relations and Communications
- The Administration, Congress and Agencies
- Role of States and Local Authorities
- Public, Nongovernmental Organizations, Academia, and Private Sector
- Invitational Speeches by Commissioners
BREAK FOR LUNCH - Noon until 1:00 p.m.
AFTERNOON SESSION - 1:00 p.m. until 2:30 p.m.
Scheduling and Timing
- General Strategy and Goals
- Next Meeting: Date and Location
- Scheduling Regional Meetings
- Subcommittee Meetings
- 18-month requirement
Public Comments 2:30 p.m. until 3:p.m.
- Comments from the audience will be limited to five (5) minutes per person