P.O. Box 2963
Arlington, Virginia 22202
Phone: (202) 801 3123
Fax: (209) 254 9405
January 4, 2000
Federal Trade Commission
600 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW
Washington, DC 20580
- Re: Advisory Committee on Online Access and Security Nomination P
Dear Mr. Medine:
This is to nominate Paul G. Foldes, J.D., B.E. (Elec Eng) Founder of
e-Catalyst, to serve on the FTC's Advisory Committee on Online Access
Interests Qualified to Represent:
- a) Responsible commercial and non-commercial entities interested
in ethically marketing to prospects
- b) Consumers
Professional and Experiential Qualifications:
- 1. Former FTC Consumer Protection Attorney, Div. Of National
- Among other groundbreaking initiatives to which I materially
contributed during my FTC employment:
- co-counsel for the "Fuel Economy Advertising Rule".
Rulemaking required consideration and design of the best means
of disclosing information to consumers in short TV and Radio
ads; typically 30 seconds or less.
- Relevance of above experience. The average WWW
page visitor spends less than 30 seconds prior to skipping to
another page. This experience with required disclosures (30 seconds
or less) of essential information; to enable an 'average consumer'
to make more informed purchase decisions will benefit the Committee
in considering any recommended voluntary, or required disclosures
which may be suggested to be displayed on WWW sites.
- 2. Adjunct Professor, 'Introduction to Internet Survey' course
taught to non-tech savvy, 'average consumers' since 1996. Montgomery
College, Business, Management, Info-Science Department.
- Relevance of above experience. Every semester a new class
of 'average adult consumers' provides me with a uniquely up to date,
practical view of their state of knowledge of the Internet;
including e-privacy issues. My class emphasizes safe and informed
use of the Internet, including personal e-safety. URL: http://www.interhelp.com/inetcourse.htm
- 3. Internet Strategy Consultant. Recent clients have included a
division of the US Treasury, where I was asked to consult on ease of
use, marketing and e-privacy issues.
I am local and available to devote the necessary resources to the
Paul G. Foldes, Sr. Consultant