PCIX - Permission-based Customer Informatin Exchange
PCIX is the marketing framework that allows the world to move from opt-out to opt-in. PCIX allows consumers to share personal information in order to receive the best service, while protecting their privacy. At the same time, PCIX gives businesses a useable framework in which to responsibly communicate with customers and manage information efficiently.
Shifting the Paradigm to Opt-in
The interactive nature of the Internet is fundamentally changing the way business is done. We are moving from a product-centric world to one that is customer-centric. Businesses increasingly compete on their ability to listen to individual customers and provide superior service and specifically targeted offerings.
The key to this process is opt-in, customer permission to use personal information. PCIX provides a responsible framework for sharing personal information and is flexible enough to accommodate the needs of different industries and the evolution of the marketplace. PCIX is an opt-in method of information collection and use. It is open source, not a formal standard that requires industry-wide agreement on code or definitions. Hence it works for everyone and some of the largest companies are using it today.
PCIX: Opt-in, Information and Support Services
An Agreement opt-in for the responsible use of information
An Information Framework - conveniently categorizes information to suit any situation
A Service Category third-parties can enable the responsible sharing of information
1) The Agreement PCIX rests on the principal that information is best used only for explicit purposes and only with the active permission of the customer. It is a social contract based on trust. PCIX is based on the Responsible Use of Personal Information (RUPI) which include:
· Permission must be explicitly obtained.
· Permission can not be sold or shared.
· Permission can be revoked at any time.
· Permission does not include aggregating information from third parties.
· Permission should not be abused.
2) The Information Framework PCIX categorizes personal information into 6 basic levels:
P1 Permission and Privacy Level - Opt-in, Opt out, track subscriptions, monitor children, etc.
P2 Contact Information - Address telephone number, delivery instructions, etc.
P3 Descriptive Information - Sex, age, clothing size, etc.
P4 Preference Information - Hobbies, interests, clothing styles, color, airline seat, etc.
P5 Account and Historical Information - Financial, medical information, etc.
B1-5 Business & Professional Information PCIX recognizes that individuals operate both as consumers and business customers, often with parallel information categories. PCIX allows individuals to have both a personal and a professional profile.
As an open-source framework, strict adoption of specific sub-categories is not required for PCIX vendors to exchange information. Separate vendors may hold the same information in different subcategories and can easily map them to communicate over a single system. Consumers control when and at what level they give out information.
3) The Service Category PCIX allows for an environment of multiple, efficient data repositories where information can be managed and controlled by customers and accessed by vendors. Various third-party, information support businesses can provide avenues for communication within the PCIX environment. Some will provide anonymity services, others will act as financial infomediaries. Still others will focus on passwords. If they operate openly, they all operate as PCIX services.